Thursday 4 April 2019

28 Stitching up the Murray [3c] Swan Hill to Deniliquin


Day 21: Swan Hill to Deniliquin

After an ordinary night in Swan Hill in an ordinary motel eating ordinary fast food I set off again, stopping on the Victorian side to get a view of the Swan Hill Bridge.


Another single lane bridge.


Then onwards to the great southern stretches of NSW.


The sealed road to the next bridge - Gonn Crossing - was a bit of a detour so I took the shorter dirt road. Not bad but quite heavy corrugations in parts.


Another little off road detour to get a shot of the Gonn Crossing bridge.



Then onwards, south of the river


The good farmers making hay while the sun shone.


The vegetation increased as the road quality decreased


Until I reached Barham, where a local kindly demonstrated his ability to guide a small pleasure craft under the bridge.


I crossed the bridge into NSW and wandered up to have a look, noted the pedestrian walkway and the heavy vehicle weight limit.


A minute later I found out what it meant ...


But I was left wondering how I was going to levitate myself over any reversing wheelchairs. In the end I decided that in my ignorance crossing the bridge on foot could be dangerous so I returned to the ute, saddled up, and once again ventured onto the flat plains of southern NSW.



All very pleasant until I reached Echuca, where I crossed the bridge into Victoria and went off road again to get a photo.


Then around the southern corner of the Murray and across the Barmah Bridge (another obliging local demonstrating river navigation skills) ...


... and headed north into NSW ...


... to Deniliquin, self-proclaimed Ute Capital of the World and home to the Deni Ute Muster, which seems to have grown beyond a useful size (20,000+ visitors last year).

The sun was turning orange in the late afternoon so I stopped at an even less comfortable motel than Swan Hill, bought some fresh food at a supermarket, and hunkered down for the night.

No comments: